Friday, March 30, 2007

Conference Weekend

When I was younger, Conference Weekend was like a holiday, where you basically did everything you'd do on any other day while the grown-ups watched a bunch of old men speak about stuff that didn't make any sense. For some reason I remember a lot of conferences spent at my grandma's house. But I don't remember the talks or anything, mostly just making forts out of blankets and chairs in the basement. But now I look forward to Conference like I used to look forward to Christmas. It's such a special time.
I was walking to the library today and saw one of my professors. He said, "So, how's it going?" I said, "Pretty good." Then he continued,"It is friday." And then I said, "Yah, and it's Conference Weekend!" Then he said to my chagrin, "Yah. It poses problems. I've got so much to do. It's one of those times where I'm like, do I watch Saturday's Sessions or not?

I left that conversation with a bit of bad taste in my mouth. I mean, I guess he could be joking, but from the tone it didn't sound like it. I don't know. He's definitely much busier than I am.. but who doesn't wait eagerly to hear the living mouthpiece of God. I mean, who's like, "aaaah. I'll do it tomorrow.... I think I got a sock drawer to organize...." Shouldn't listening to the living mouthpiece of God be on your definite "to do" list?

I guess I just like the simple things. Well. I guess not so simple. I'll probably end up making a fort anyway...

No comments: